During the early 1940s, Silver Hill was still in a rural setting. The main road, Maryland Route 5, leading to southern Maryland passed in front of the present station. During WWII, fire protection was provided by a Civil Defense Group using a trailer type pumper with 200 feet of hose. The unit was kept in a garage at the home of Mr. George Rackey, Sr., in the 4200 block of Branch Avenue (currently near the 3800 block of St. Barnabas Road).
In the fall of 1945, there was a serious and costly house fire on Cedar Drive in Silver Hill. The Civil Defense Group was no longer active and the only fire protection came from Boulevard Heights, District Heights and Morningside Volunteer Fire Departments. The Silver Hill Citizen’s Association met in November 1945 to consider the fire problem and formed the Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad, Inc. The first Fire Chief was H. A. Duke, who also served as President for nine years. There were 13 charter members of the organization.
On December 20, 1945, the company purchased a used “Reo” truck (vintage 1923) from the District Heights Volunteer Fire Department for $500.00. Not having a fire station, it was agreed to keep the fire truck in the Chief’s garage at 201 Park Boulevard. This building is still standing not far from the present station.